How to File a Grievance

If you believe that an attorney has acted in an unethical manner and is in violation of the New Hampshire Rules of Professional Conduct, you may file a grievance. If you choose to file a grievance, you may do so by writing us a letter, which includes the name and address of the attorney, as well as the following information:

  1. a brief description of the legal matter which gave rise to your grievance;
  2. a detailed factual description of the lawyer's conduct;
  3. the relevant documents that illustrate the conduct of the attorney or, if you are unable to provide such documents, an explanation of why you are unable to provide them; and
  4. what proof is to be provided, including the names and addresses of witnesses, to establish a violation of a disciplinary rule.

It is essential that you specify the date(s) of the event(s) you describe. Your grievance letter must be signed under oath, and a copy of the letter and enclosures must be sent to the attorney about whom you are writing.

Click on the links below to view/download an oath form that you must sign in the presence of a Notary Public or Justice of the Peace and a Certification of Copies Form. Both of these forms need to be completed and attached to your letter before you submit it to this office.

Oath Form

Certification of Copies Form

Grievances cannot be filed by email or fax because they must bear original signatures.